Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Not Wordless Wednesday - blossoming

I tried for Wordless Wednesday, I really did, but I am not a "keep your mouth shut" kinda girl.
I took a photo of my bowl of Coco-pops. Not very exciting. I photographed the dog, the cat, the sink, the chair.. nothing exciting. Nothing.

Then I peeked out the window to the beautiful little blossom tree out the front. It's very first spring in our garden, so pretty with perfect white angel blossoms dancing on it's tender branches.

It is generally accepted in our home that I am not allowed to talk to it. 
So I photographed it silently .. wordlessly.....


It's so lovely, and a real, actual, proper plant.

There is a reason I can't talk to it ..... 

 from the Button Bliss files -

I swear I can kill a cactus, a daisy, a geranium.

In the back of my garden there is one tall bushy plant. It sprung from nowhere and I gave it a wide berth, not wanting it to know I knew it was there. It is green and has lots of leaves, and has picked centre stage along the back wall, amongst tragic looking wilting violets.


I started to talk to the plant. Just a little comment here and there. 
"Hello, are you sure you're in the right place??" 
I have watered gently when I didn't think it was looking. I have shooed away the cat, who has lots of other places to dig!!

Imagine my excitement when a couple of weeks ago, a lovely head of flowers emerged at the top of the bush. There were five buds, tightly closed. What colour would they be? 
Sarah and I inspected our new pride and joy for bugs, grubs and other critters who might endanger it. The next morning, after the kids went to school, I wandered out to say hello. There were five beautiful purple flowers, open and happy on my plant. How green are my thumbs right now !! 

                    _____________________

A friend came for a visit, her small children eager to play with Sarah. There we sat, in the early evening, my friend Jo and I, with a glass of wine. I positioned my friend so she had the best view of my gorgeous gardening phenomenon, and I enjoyed the silence that came as she observed and admired it's magnificence.
Then she said- "When are you going to pull that out?"
WWHHAATTT ??? Why would I pull out the only dear plant that has stuck by me?



"Ummm, Lisa, You do know it's a weed - don't you ??"


( INSERT PITYING LOOK FROM JO ! )


"Oh yeah, sure, well, yes I thought, well no actually, but, but, but it's pretty."


The conversation ended abruptly and we moved on to other topics, but I confess my gaze returned again and again to my poor little weed flowers.


I still thought they looked pretty and they certainly were the most loved weeds in Wangaratta.
I let the plant stay til the flowers finished (I didn't let them seed). I thought anything that has managed to live and flower in my backyard deserves to wave it's flowers proudly.

Hope all the flowers in your garden are happy and waving, even the dandelions!

2 comments:

  1. My dad always said a weed is only something you don't want. ie if it's pretty, keep it! The purists call everything introduced (non-native) plant a weed. I'd say if it's not invasive and it's pretty, you've got yourself a new, successful plant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry babe, they are all I can grow.

    I had some bushes, but Boo decided to water them for me with Roundup.

    I can grow ivy and agapanthus.

    I KILLED MINT!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome, please be kind and respectful. We all have different views of the world, sharing your view with gentle words is appreciated.xxx Lisa