Monday, March 18, 2013

Why do you blog?


Tomorrow I'm boarding a plane and winging it to Sydney to attend the Digital Parents Conference.
I am so excited and a wee bit nervous. So many new people to meet, experiences to be had, and so much grownup food to be eaten.
I'm rooming with lovely Twitchy from Twitchy Corner and she has promised to hold my hand if I freak out because ....


digitalparentsbutton



Very scary. I'm reading one of my posts at The Mother Tongue session, so if you are attending, please come and smile encouragingly !
Ms Twitchy is also speaking, the next day (Yay Twitchy!!) and is already making veiled threats to lock herself in the bathroom. We are not so very brave when we are not in front of a computer screen.

When I tell my real-life friends where I am going, they don't get it. They don't blog, and only a couple of them read my blog with any regularity. They don't understand why I do it, what the point of it is.
And honestly, I struggle to explain it myself.
Except that I love to write, and sometimes the words are bubbling around inside me needing to get out.

As for content.... 
I love to share, and I'm not ashamed of the hiccups and milestones of my life.
Some of them have been awesome, positive and wonderful, joyfilled and sublime. Some of them have been ugly, awkward, heartbreaking or just plain embarrassing. Anyone reading about them can choose to think of me as a bit of an airhead, a flake, a crazy person ... that's okay.
Because every now and then someone reads my blog and it reaches them in a moment just like mine. And they know they aren't alone. They aren't the only airhead, flake or crazy person... 
That's why I blog. Because none of us should ever feel alone.

Why do you blog?



8 comments:

  1. I ask this all the time and hardly ever find an answer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The reasons I started are not the same as why I continue, which is interesting, and yes at times, I can't answer the question myself

      Delete
  2. I think the common denominators for all of us are a love of writing and a need to share and connect. Since being a SAHM I think I really would have gone crazy without my blog and social media...Im already half way there anyway! I probably would have gone back to work earlier as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am amazed at the friendships and support that I have found through social media. Twitter definitely keeps me from going crazy on a daily basis..

      Delete
  3. Yay!! Love reading your blog and sharing a giggle or a tear with you. Have a wonderful time in Sydney - you will do well with reading your blog because it is a subject close to your heart! Enjoy child-free time too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will, and you know all I am thinking about is the food :-)

      Delete
  4. Good Luck with your speech / presentation at the conference. I'm sure you (and Twitchy) will do brilliantly. Don't let the nerves get to you and have lots of fun.

    I started to log to empty my head and while that is part of the reason I keep on with it I think there's more to it now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I blog because I love to write and because I love freezing my memories in time to go back and read later. I hope you have as great time presenting and participating in the conference!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome, please be kind and respectful. We all have different views of the world, sharing your view with gentle words is appreciated.xxx Lisa