Friday, April 8, 2011

selfless acts




I found this quote yesterday and it really stopped me in my tracks. It is the ultimate description of selflessness.

Acting with kindness, giving generously, sharing our time and resources is so much sweeter when it is given freely, without any expectation of return.

When I was a young girl I was a Brownie ( a Jnr Girl Guide) and one of the challenges was to do secret acts of kindness. The idea was that no-one would know it was you, and therefore you knew there would be no thanks, apart from the pleasure someone else gained. It was a tricky concept for young kids to grasp but such an important lesson. I remember sneaking out and laying the breakfast table, before anyone else was up. Polishing my sisters shoes, tidying the lounge. Of course Mum knew it was me but she played the 'secret' game.

I'm trying to teach my children the same concept, and hope to help them grow into giving, generous people. We can achieved so much and change so much in our world if together we gave freely, without a hidden agenda or an eye on our wallets. Giveaway the baby stuff ( rather than listing it for a few pennies on ebay!), take magazines to the Dr's, pop a coin in a parking meter, mow the neighbors front lawn, and babysit for free. Let's be like the sun and continue to shine the way & lead by example.

Lisa
xxx

2 comments:

  1. Lisa, what a lovely blog! I saw your site as referrer, and find myself on your blog list :) Thank you! Keep spreading your light.
    All the best,
    Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a beautiful quote. My favourite movie of all time (although sad at the end) is Pay it Forward. The concept speaks for itself, similar to what you are saying here. Lovely post, thanks for putting it out there xo Sandra

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome, please be kind and respectful. We all have different views of the world, sharing your view with gentle words is appreciated.xxx Lisa