Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Spot the difference food-fail - IBOT

Yesterday I decided to make something luscious and decadent for today's lunchboxes.
I spent ages pouring through my recipe books and finally decided on these little gems.




Double Caramel Raisin Rolls , oozing with soft gooey, buttery caramel. 

They look divine and -wonder of wonders- I had all the ingredients in my cupboard.
I made the dough and it was smooth and silky, it rose beautifully.

I punched it down and kneaded it, then rolled it out to fill with soft butter, cinnamon, sugar and plump raisins, then rolled it up jelly roll fashion.
The base of the baking tray was spread with more butter, cinnamon and sugar and sprinkled with chopped pecans. Oh My!

The dough was sliced up and set in tray to rise again and the smell throughout the kitchen was beautiful. Who knew I was such a dynamic whiz in the kitchen ?

It was around this time that I started to fantasize about a possible stint on MasterChef. Oh the praise, the quiet nod of approval from Gary, George would roll his eyes in pleasure. How the public would adore this unassuming mum who could produce heaven on a plate without so much as breaking a sweat.

It was time to pop these babies in the oven and wait for the magic...

Twenty five minutes later it was time for the great unveiling and I wished Matt Preston was there to 'lift the cloche' . (I don't have one but I can pretend)

Errrrrrmmmmmmmm.



What The ??????

Where the heck is my gooey caramel?
Where is my melt-in-your-mouth buttery goodness?

I am choosing to not share the original recipe photo with the kids. I'll  tell them this is exactly how they are supposed to look, slather on the butter and honey and make myself a nice hot cup of tea.



This is why I am not a food blogger.
Please tell me I'm not the only one who does this sort of thing .....

Linking up with Jess..






12 comments:

  1. oh love you are NOT the only one! Nothing EVER EVER looks on my plate like it does in the pictures! I often wonder how they even get pictures of some food, as I doubt anyone could make it look like they do! Like the Maccas burgers even. Look so big and full in the pic then come out flat and squashed in your paper wrap! Nice try tho! ;-) -ARoha (#teamIBOT)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have discovered they actually taste okay, so it's just a matter of hiding the pictorial evidence that they could have ever looked any different. I am still disappointed at the lack of caramel.. this is one of those things where I think, "right I'm doing it again and again until it looks right" .. I will, however, be the size of a house!

      Delete
  2. Well they are do have a resemblance to each other-sort of. No recipe books pics ever look the same as the real deal. Good on you for trying something new-my kids are too young to know the difference if something doesn't work out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol - Yes, at least I tried. Aspie Boy 19 chuckled and said "If you close your eyes it doesn't matter anymore".

      Delete
  3. Definitely the reason I am not a food blogger!
    In the end if it tastes OK, it doesn't matter too much what it looks like. But it sure is disappointing isn't it?
    Becc @ Take Charge Now

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it when things look rustic and authentic. Those image of the rolls in the cookbook where probably not even cooked, just sprayed with some chemical thing by a food stylist and then the image put through a filter. It's irresponsible the way cookbooks don't even test half their recipes these days! Scandalous!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, I don't how they can get away with such deceptive images! This happens to me too, far too often! Thanks for share, I'm glad I'm not the only one. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This happens to me EVERY SINGLE TIME. Nothing ever looks like the picture. I have decided as long as it tastes good, I do not care!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never made anything that comes out looking like the picture. In fact I hate cooking with pictures because they just show me how useless I am at cooking BUT I have to cook with pictures otherwise I have no idea of what I am trying to create !!! Bit of a conundrum, what !
    I think that they look like the would taste wonderful anyway - so yes, hide the pictorial evidence and let them think they came out exactly like they should because they taste like they should !!!!
    Have the best day !
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no, I hope they tasted good. I'd swear they have probably photoshopped that first photo within an inch of it's life, always the way! Don't be disappointed ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I tell you what Lisa, I bet they were just as bloody tasty right?? I would have lashed with butter and just closed my eyes and pretended! Emily

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha ha ha!! That's hilarious!!!
    I'm hoping they tasted ok though? They sound pretty darn amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome, please be kind and respectful. We all have different views of the world, sharing your view with gentle words is appreciated.xxx Lisa